The American made DMT Dia-sharp Sharpener works well for creating ridelines in all makes of honed beauty shears. It is 3 micron or 8000 grit equivalent. These are the specs from DMT:
- Superior Diamond Sharpening Stones
- Legendary quality
- Made in the USA
- Sharpening surface accommodates range of edges. From large knives to small pointed tools
- Extra-Extra Fine diamond to polish to the finest edge, 3 micron/8000 mesh
- Sharpens knives faster than conventional stones with DMT's monocrystalline diamond surface
- No oil is needed-sharpen with soapy water
- Durable construction will provide years of consistent performance and reliable service
Here is my take and use of this stone....
I have personally been using one of these stones since they were first introduced by DMT. At first I did not like them. Although the results were good, and they proformed as promised, I was unhappy with the tiny scratches left on the surface of the ride area. These did not affect smoothness or cutting, but I was not able to remove the lines with subsequent steps from my regular waterstones. As time went on, I began to use the stone more when I had a shear that required extra work. In use, the scratches seemed smaller as the stone wore and smoothed. I use this stone when I want to make absoluely sure I have a completely flat rideline. I found it totally essential when sharpening low-end shears or damaged shears. I use it with soapy water as I would a natural whetstone. I have been known to use a nagura stone and like the slurry. The stone can also be utilized as a flattening stone to leave a smooth flat finish on all your waterstones. It is long lasting and won't break like a ceramic stone. I use this stone along side not instead of my other waterstones. This stone would also be essential when sharpening the newer "super steel" shears.